Degree: Career Studies Certificate
Program Code: 52.0901
Program Length: 1 Year - 2 Semesters
Minimum Credits: 19
Buchanan Hall B188
Purpose: This curriculum is designed to provide students with the basic skills necessary to obtain an entrylevel
position in the culinary industry at an accelerated pace.
Program Objectives: This curriculum prepares graduates to enter the workforce at entry level in the following
positions: Prep and/or production cook, dishwasher, vegetable cook.
Admission Requirements: Applicants must meet the requirements for admission to credit-level coursework
established by the college.
Funding: Due to the nature of the cost for supplies (food) for this program, it is recommended, with approval
throug the VCCS, to add a $100/per student materials fee to balance the cost. This will help maintain viability
of the program.
To successfully complete the laboratory components of the program, the student must be able to perform all of the
essential functions of a culinarian:
- Communicate satisfactorily with clients, supervisors, peers, and the culinary team, which includes a diverse group of people.
- See and hear adequately to be able to react to the varied culinary environments, such as receive and interpret various equipment signals.
- See adequately to read equipment gauges in order to correctly interpret displayed data.
- Be prepared to attend and stand/walk during class and/or labs during day and/or evenings lasting from 3 to 9 hours in length.
- Walk rapidly for a prolonged period from one area to another. Work with sense of urgency.
- Bend or squat frequently.
- Assist in lifting or moving equipment, cooking pots and pans and food ingredients.
- Demonstrate adequate eye/hand coordination for dexterity in manipulation of equipment and utensils.
- Use hands for grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Work with arms fully extended overhead for short periods.
- Differentiate the color spectrum for proper preparation and presentation of prepared dishes.
- Possess the visual acuity to correctly read handwritten requisitions, orders, receiving reports, recipes, and provide safety for clients.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Be able to multi-task, as well as, keep a “level head” when exposed to highly stressful and demanding situations in lab and internship settings.
- Work in close quarters in close proximity to a diverse group of people.
- Withstand high-temperature environment for prolonged periods of time.
- Work as a member of a cohesive team.